1st Hook Group History for the 20th Century

1923 Official registration of 1st Hook Scout Group under the leadership of Dickie Cole. A cub pack is also formed to join the Troop which it is thought to have been meeting - unregistered - since 1909

1924 The Rover Crew (18 to 25 yrs) is formed under the leadership of Alf Ashborne

1925 The first of many Rover Dinners is held on November 5th

1934 Harold Oakey becomes Scout Master and is christened 'Skipper'. There are 12 boys in the Troop!

1935 The Troop's numbers have grown to 27 and they win the Tipkee Flag and Cup.

1936 The Group starts a 'Building Fund' to raise enough money to buy its own HQ.

1937 A Group Committee is founded and a 'Display' held. Plans are made for an HQ 60’ x 25’

1938 The Band is formed. For 1/6d per hour a local TA unit member provides 2 hours training a week. The land the HQ currently occupies was purchased by the Group for the sum of £178!

1939 The outbreak of the war temporarily stopped all meetings. The land purchased in 1938 now let out for allotments. Anti-gas measures form part of weekly meetings once they resume. The Group sets about collecting waste paper to help the war effort as well as raise funds for the new HQ.

1940 Skipper Oakey called up and Gaffer Horton takes over as Scout Master. Tents have to be camouflaged. The Parish Hall is turned into a British Restaurant and scout meetings are moved to Tolworth Central Hall (now known as Tolworth Girls School).

1941 An Air Scout troop formed under the leadership of Wilf Sayer. The Founder of Scouting, Lord Baden Powell dies

1943 Dickie Cole, the founder of the Group, dies.

1944 Flying bomb attacks begin and evacuation leaves group numbers low for a short time but all meetings continue.

1945 The war ends and Skipper returns to once again take up the reigns as Scout Master from ‘Gaffer’ Horton. The Rover Crew is re-formed under the leadership of Ralph Oakey.

1947 The Band is re-formed. The Troop spend Summer camp at Milford on Sea where trapped rabbits go some way to eke out the meat rations.

1948 Meetings return to the Parish Hall. A Senior Troop (15 - 18 yrs) is formed.

1949 The senior scouts camp in Jersey under the leadership of Jack Wilson and Harry Chatfield (courtesy of Alf Ashbourne GSM, St Helier Sea Scouts and founder member of 1st Hook).

1950 Plans for our first HQ on the Verona Drive site are passed and building work begins.

1951 The HQ is opened on 22 September and a Grand Fete held to celebrate. The Guild of Old Scouts is formed.

1953 The Group became an 'Open Group' having until now been formally linked to St Paul's Church.

1954 The first Scouter's Dinner is held in the HQ.

1955 Phil Menhennett (Mr M) takes over as Scout Master leaving Skipper as Group Scout Master.

1956 Eileen Wilson (nee Newark) stood down as leader of 'A' Pack Cubs - Roy Dack takes over.

1957 The Troop Leader and two Asst. Scout Masters attend the World Jamboree in Sutton Coldfield. Hospitality given to Canadian Scouts attending the Jamboree.

1959 Skipper Oakey celebrates 25 years of leadership with the Group.

1960 Colin Smith re-forms the Rover Crew. The Guild of Old Scouts camps at Norwood Farm.

1961 An ex-army hut from Richmond Park is purchased and erected at the rear of the HQ to provide a new Rover/Guild Den.

1962 The Rover Crew is presented with the Surrey County Standard at Guildford Cathedral for winning the County Competition.

1963 Operation Touchdown’ camp held at Walton Firs Campsite forthe Scouts with the cubs gathered on Epsom Downs. The Chief Scout - Sir Charles Maclean visits but dreadful weather conditions spoil the events.

1964  The Rover/Guild den is officially opened. Skipper Oakey retires after 30 years and is succeeded as Group Scout Master by Phil Menhennett. Skipper is appointed ‘Honorary Group Scout Master’. A new Scout County of Greater London South West is formed - Phil Menhennett is appointed Asst. County Commissioner for Scouts.

1966 New band equipment - 6 side drums and 12 single valve bugles - are purchased for £280! The Senior Scouts visit Holland.

1967 Band enters the National Scout Band Championships and wins three trophies. The Summer Fete is revived. 'A' Pack cubs win the Surbiton District Swimming Gala.

1968 'A' Pack cubs win the Surbiton District Swimming Gala - again!

1969 Colin Smith, for many years the Rover Crew Leader and a stalwart of the Group, sadly passes on.

1970 The Group acquires its own printing machine.

1972 The Troop spend their Easter Camp at Feignes in France.A Cine Film recording the very 'damp' experience was enjoyed for many years but has now been lost.

1973 The Group celebrates it's 50th Anniversary with a Group Camp at Walton Firs, Commemorative Church Parade and Dinner Dance at Surbiton Assembly Rooms.

1974 Phil Menhennett retires as Group Scout Leader and is succeeded by Tony Edwards. Ralph Oakey, for many years the leader of the Rover Crew passes away. The re-building of the HQ begins with Stages 1 and 2 being built. The Group runs its first charity shop in Kingston.

1975 The new HQ opens - the re-building has cost £45,000.

1977 The BP Guild loses its separate identity. Lord Baden Powell - Grandson of the Founder - attends the Groups 'Display'

1978 The Band plays in the Lord Mayor's Show as part of the County Band. The first female members are invested into the Venture Unit. The Group acquires its own transport - a minibus. The Group plays host to the Kibaek Tambourkorps from Denmark

1979 The Band visits Denmark. The Group acquires its first coach and a van

1980 Phil Menhennett appointed as County Commissioner. The Troop visit Holland. Ann Thorne – ex ACM 'B' Pack cubs sadly passes away at an early age.

1981 The Group holds its first 'Auction Sale'. The Venture Unit camp in Delft, Holland. Roy Dack stands down as Akela of 'A' Pack Cubs after 25 years . Three long standing supporters of the Group sadly pass away - Frank Carrick, Bill Sapsed and Don Taylor.

1982 The Band again takes part in the Lord Mayor’s Show as part of the County Band. The new Chief Scout, Maj. Gen. Sir Michael Walsh, visits the HQ for a Troop Night and watches the Venture Unit preparing for its first pantomime.

1983 The first Beaver Colony for 6 to 8 year olds is formed and named 'Cheyenne'. Members of the 1st Hook Guides are invited to join the band. We host the Kibaek Tambourkorps for the second time. The Group celebrates its 60th Anniversary with a family camp and a Dinner Dance. Marguerite White stands down as Akela of 'B' Pack after 25 years service. She is succeeded by Wendy House who in 1984 hands over to Carole Atkinson.

1984 The Troop, Venture Unit and Band visit Denmark. Phil Menhennett retires as County Commissioner. Tony Edwards retires as Group Scout Leader. Initial plans for the stage 3 extension to the HQ are drawn up.

1985 Navaho Beaver Colony is formed. Tony Edwards is appointed District Commissioner of Kingston and Malden District. David Carrick takes over as Scout Leader from David Deane.

1986 Bob Bushell is appointed as District Commissioner for Surbiton District. David Thompson takes over as Bandmaster from Richard Hackett. We are all saddened by the deaths of three Group members; Mike Howe, an Asst. Scout Leader; Doug New, a long standing member of the Group who had held both Group and District appointments and Bill Richardson, former District and Borough Commissioner and great friend of the Group.

1987 Harold Oakey celebrates his 80th Birthday. The Troop holds its Summer Camp in Holland. The Band achieves National Status Grade A at its annual inspection. Another of the stalwarts of the Group, George Winston, sadly passes away.

1988 Once again we entertain our friends from Denmark. The Band celebrates its 50th birthday and perform as a guest band at the Royal Tournament. Venture Scouting is 21 years old. The gear boxes from both the coach and the lorry are stolen whilst they are parked within the HQ grounds! The lorry is repaired but the coach is scrapped. The roof of the HQ is replaced at a cost of £7,700.

1989 A replacement coach is bought at a cost of £4,600. Uniform changes take effect - sweat shirts are in for the cubs but the scout beret and cub cap go. David Carrick stands down as Troop Leader

1990 The Troop, Venture Unit, Band and Guides visit Denmark. David Carrick takes on the role of Quartermaster assisted by Nobby Powell. Les Brown, former Bandmaster and supporter of the Group for many years, sadly passes away. Work on the stage 3 extension begins.

1991 The Group is opened to girls of all ages as 'Girls in Scouting' is given official clearance. Glad New, parent, supporter and BP Guild Chair and George Spencer, parent, supporter, minute secretary and Executive member sadly both pass away.

1992 Apache Beaver Colony formed. Stage 3 completed and brought into use at a cost of some £80,000. Colin Stevenson takes over as Venture Scout Leader from Nigel Ling. Les Aggas, a member of the Group from the early days and one of the original trustees sadly passes away.

1993 Once again we host our Danish friends. The joint band performs as a guest band at the Royal Tournament. 1st Hook Band takes part in the Lord Mayor's Show - the first time it does so without having to join forces with other bands. Harold Oakey appointed Life President of the Group. Another of our long standing friends and members, Dr. David May, sadly passes away.

1994 The Band become the Marching Band Champions of the Scout Association and again play in the Lord Mayor's Show and lead for the second year the Remembrance Parade through Windsor. Sue Barden takes over as Akela of 'A' Pack from Paula Thompson. Very long standing supporter, tireless fundraiser and friend, Audrey Menhennett sadly passes away.

1995 A momentous year for the Band. They win for the first time the Kingston Youth Band Championship and play at the Hampton Court Flower Show. In August they parade before thousands and the entire Royal Family as they take part in the VJ Tribute and Promise Parade down The Mall. They also, for the first time, lead the National Scout Parade of Queen Scouts on St George's Day at Windsor Castle. Chris Mould takes over as Scout Leader from Neil McLean. A Transport Fund is established to raise funds for a new coach and minibus.

1996 Coach breaks down on Summer Camp and has to be scrapped. Lottery application for funds is unsuccessful. Band become Supreme Marching Band Champions of the Scout Association and take part in the Queens Birthday Parade up The Mall. David Thompson stands down as Bandmaster and passes over the reins to Justin Spanner. Bob Bushell retires as District Commissioner. Clive Uridge becomes Group Scout Leader. The Venture Unit's performance of Sleeping Beauty plays to four packed houses. Fred Lovell, a long standing supporter and for many years our 'odd job man' sadly passes away

1997 A new coach is bought for £12,337 and a minibus for £4,970. The Band again play at the Hampton Court Flower Show and also the London Marathon. New central heating boilers are installed at a cost of £2,000. Cis Steer retires as Leader of the Hook Friendship Club after 15 years and is succeeded by Maureen Smith. John Donaldson, County Commissioner and good friend of 1st Hook sadly passes away. The first 'adult' pantomime (Oklahoma!) is a huge success. Frank Carter – one time Scout Master for many years, sadly passes on.

1998 New curtains are fitted in the hall thanks to the generous financial support of George Findlay and his Dance Club, and the Friendship Club both of which subscribed to the cost. Derek Spencer and Betty Thompson stand down as Treasurer and Secretary, respectively, after 21 and 24 consecutive years service. Bob Bushell takes over as Group Treasurer. The Venture Scout Unit visit Canada. David Sadler takes over as leader of the Venture Scout Unit from Colin Stevenson. Eileen Wilson, leader, supporter and friend to many sadly passes away. The Group is represented at the World Jamboree in Chile by Graham Baker and Lucy Barden.The Group celebrates its 75th Anniversary.

1999 Concerns over falling numbers of Beavers leads to the closure of the Navaho colony. B Pack Akela Carole Atkinson is awarded the Medal of Merit. The Group is awarded the County Commissioner's Standard for a further 3 year term. Increased concerns over safety during church parades leads to a reduction in their frequency and improved marshalling. Carole Goble is appointed as Group Secretary. Chris Mould takes over as Transport Manager from Alan New, who has looked after the group transport for nearly 20 years.